This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
Exogenous galanin has been shown to suppress insulin secretion as elicited by a number of secretagogues such as glucose, arginine, tolbutamide, carbachol, and oral nutrients. To achieve further insight into the influence of galanin on the endocrine pancreas, we have investigated the effect of synthetic porcine galanin (a 200 ng bolus followed by constant infusion at a concentration of 16.8 ng/mL for 16 to 24 minutes) on unstimulated insulin, glucagon, and somatostatin release, as well as on the responses of these hormones to 1 nmol/L vasoactive intestinal peptide (VIP), 1 nmol/L gastric inhibitory peptide (GIP), 1 nmol/L 26 to 33 octapeptide form of cholecystokinin (8-CCK) or 10 nmol/L glucagon in the perfused rat pancreas. Galanin infusion reduced unstimulated insulin secretion by 60% without modifying glucagon and somatostatin output. Galanin also blocked insulin release elicited by VIP, GIP, and 8-CCK; it did not affect the glucagon responses to VIP and GIP, or the somatostatin responses to VIP, GIP, and 8-CCK. Finally, galanin inhibited the insulin output, but not the somatostatin release induced by glucagon. In conclusion, in the perfused rat pancreas, galanin appears to behave as a general inhibitor of insulin secretion. Since this neuropeptide does not modify glucagon or somatostatin release, a direct effect of galanin on the B-cell seems plausible.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Metabolism - Clinical and Experimental
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Galanin—A novel biologically active peptide from porcine intestine.FEBS Lett. 1983; 164: 124-128
- A galanin-like peptide in the central nervous system and intestine of the rat.Neurosci Lett. 1984; 47: 161-166
- Immunohistochemical mapping of galanin-like neurons in the rat central nervous system.Peptides. 1985; 6: 509-546
- Distribution of galanin-like immunoreactivity in the gastro-intestinal tract of several mammalian species.Cell Tissue Res. 1985; 239: 253-270
- Distribution of galanin immunoreactivity (GIR) in the central nervous system and gastrointestinal tract.Dig Dis Sci. 1984; 29 (abstr, suppl): 175
- Galanin: a novel pancreatic neuropeptide.Am J Physiol. 1986; 251: E127-E133
- Galanin inhibits insulin secretion and induces hyperglycemia in dogs.Diabetes. 1985; 34: 192-196
- Galanin-induced hyperglycemia: Effect on insulin and glucagon.Endocr Res. 1986; 12: 93-98
- Galanin inhibits glucose-stimulated insulin release by a mechanism involving hyperpolarization and lowering of cytoplasmic free Ca2+ concentration.Biochem Biphys Res Commun. 1986; 140: 1059-1063
- Effects of galanin on hormone secretion from the in situ perfused rat pancreas and on glucose production in rat hepatocytes in vitro.Endocrinology. 1987; 121: 378-383
- Glucagon and insulin release by the “in vitro” perfused rat pancreas.Diabete Metab. 1976; 2: 57-65
- Coated charcoal immunoassay of insulin.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1965; 25: 1375-1384
- Glucagon.in: Jaffe BM Behrman HR Methods of Hormone Radioimmunoassay. Academic, Orlando1974: 317-320
- Measurements of SS-like immunoreactivity in plasma.Clin Chim Acta. 1978; 87: 275-283
- Galanin: Effects on basal and stimulated insulin and glucagon secretion in the mouse.Acta Physiol Scand. 1987; 129: 305-309
- Intraislet insulin-glucagon-somatostatin relationships.in: Lefèbvre PJ Glucagon II. Springer-Verlag, Berlin1983: 133-162
- The effect of galanin on canine plasma glucose and gastroenteropancreatic hormone response to oral nutrients and intravenous arginine.Endocrinology. 1986; 119: 2340-2345
- Growth hormone release in man induced by galanin, a new hypothalamic peptide.Lancet. 1986; 2: 192-195
- Differential sensitivity to galanin of pancreatic insulin, somatostatin and glucagon secretion.Diabetes. 1987; 36 (abstr 372): 93A
- Inhibitory effect of galanin on pancreatic polypeptide release by the perfused rat pancreas.Life Sci. 1987; 40: 1829-1833
- Somatostatin, pancreatic polypeptide, substance P, and neurotensin: Cellular distribution and effects on stimulated insulin secretion in the mouse.Endocrinology. 1979; 104: 832-838
- Human pancreatic polypeptide inhibits insulin release in the rat.Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1981; 101: 189-193
☆Supported by Grant Nos. 86/1072 and 87/858 from the Fondo de Investigaciones Sanitarias de la Seguridad Social and Grant No. 0893/81 from the Comisión Asesora de Investigación Cientifica y Técnica, Ministerio de Educación y Ciencia, Spain.
© 1988 Published by Elsevier Inc.