This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
Serum uric acid concentration and fractional excretion were evaluated in lean (n = 67) and obese (n = 56) girls before and during pubertal development. In both lean and obese girls, uricemia gradually increased as puberty advanced. Obese girls were hyperuricemic compared with lean controls (prepubertal: 184 ±83 v 130 ± 29 μmol/L, P = .007; Tanner stage II–III: 190 ± 53 v 178 ± 47 μmol/L, NS; Tanner stage IV–V: 232 ± 53 v 191 ± 53 μmol/L, P = .02). Fractional excretion of urate decreased with puberty in lean girls (6.46% ± 2.29%, 4.61% ± 2.48%, and 3.54% ± 1.84%), but not in obese subjects (3.74% ± 2.27%, 4.01% ± 1.90%, and 4.26% ± 2.26%). Urate homeostasis was similar in prepubertal obese girls and in adolescent lean controls. We conclude that an increased serum urate concentration occurring at puberty may be due to decreased renal clearance of urate in lean girls, and at least in part to urate overproduction in obese subjects. Obesity may prematurely evoke changes in urate metabolism usually observed at puberty.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Metabolism - Clinical and Experimental
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Obesity and hyperuricemia.Clin Rheum Dis. 1977; 3: 25-35
- Effect of weight loss on plasma and urinary levels of uric acid.Lancet. 1972; 21: 1223-1224
- Uric acid metabolism in children.Pediatr Clin N Am. 1990; 37: 391-418
- Uric acid excretion in normal children.J Pediatr. 1978; 92: 911-914
- Variations in patterns of pubertal changes in girls.Arch Dis Child. 1969; 44: 291-303
- Control of uric acid excretion.N Engl J Med. 1971; 284: 1193-1196
- Statistical Methods in Medical Research. Feltrinelli, Milan, Italy1987 ed 3.
- Simple linear regression in medical research.N Engl J Med. 1985; 313: 1629-1636
- Hyperuricemia and gout. Classification complications and management.N Engl J Med. 1979; 300: 1459-1469
- Long-term management of gout and hyperuricemia.Br Med J. 1980; 281: 1164-1166
- Uric acid in childhood essential hypertension.J Pediatr. 1981; 98: 702-707
- Metabolic basis for disorders of purine nucleotide degradation.Metabolism. 1981; 30: 616-634
- Changes in serum uric acid and cholesterol levels in men undergoing job loss.JAMA. 1968; 206: 1500-1507
- Serum uric acid and cholesterol in achievement behavior and motivation. I. The relationship to ability, grades, test performance and motivation.JAMA. 1970; 213: 1158-1164
- Hyperuricemia: A marker for cell energy crisis.N Engl J Med. 1987; 317: 111-112
- Myogenic hyperuricemia: A common pathophysiologic feature of glycogenosis types III, V, and VII.N Engl J Med. 1987; 317: 75-80
- Montgomery R Dryer RL Conway TW Biochemistry: A Case-Oriented Approach. Edi Ermes, Milan, Italy1975
- Uric acid: A risk factor for coronary heart disease?.Circulation. 1979; 59: 969-972
- Insulin resistance. A multifaceted syndrome responsible for NIDDM, obesity, hypertension, dyslipidemia and atherosclerotic vascular disease.Diabetes Care. 1991; 14: 173-194
- Role of insulin resistance in human disease.Diabetes. 1988; 37: 1595-1607
- II. Carbohydrate homeostasis.N Engl J Med. 1970; 283: 237-246
- Increased basal glucose production and utilization in children with recent obesity versus adults with long-term obesity.Diabetes. 1989; 38: 477-483
- Puberty reduces insulin sensitivity.J Pediatr. 1987; 110: 481-487
Accepted: August 16, 1993
Received: March 27, 1993
© 1994 Published by Elsevier Inc.