Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Metabolism - Clinical and Experimental
- Vitamin D: importance in the prevention of cancers, type 1 diabetes, heart disease, and osteoporosis.Am J Clin Nutr. 2004; 79: 362-371
- Vitamin D deficiency.N Engl J Med. 2007; 357: 266-281
- Low levels of 25-hydroxy vitamin D are associated with elevated parathyroid hormone in healthy adolescent females.Osteoporos Int. 2005; 16: 109-113
- Estimates of optimal vitamin D status.Osteoporos Int. 2005; 16: 713-716
- Hypovitaminosis D in British adults at age 45 y: nationwide cohort study of dietary and lifestyle predictors.Am J Clin Nutr. 2007; 85: 860-868
- Polycystic ovary syndrome.Lancet. 2007; 370: 685-697
- Vitamin D and calcium dysregulation in the polycystic ovarian syndrome.Steroids. 1999; 64: 430-435
- Association of hypovitaminosis D with metabolic disturbances in polycystic ovary syndrome.Eur J Endocrinol. 2009; 161: 575-582
- Low serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D concentrations are associated with insulin resistance and obesity in women with polycystic ovary syndrome.Exp Clin Endocrinol Diabetes. 2006; 114: 577-583
- Serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D concentrations in obese and non-obese women with polycystic ovary syndrome.Arch Gynecol Obstet. 2009; 280: 559-563
- Vitamin D and cardiovascular disease risk.Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care. 2008; 11: 7-12
- Revised 2003 consensus on diagnostic criteria and long-term health risks related to polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS).Hum Reprod. 2004; 19: 41-47
- A simple automated solid-phase extraction procedure for measurement of 25-hydroxyvitamin D3 and D2 by liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry.Ann Clin Biochem. 2009; 46: 226-230
- Investigation of hirsutism: testosterone is not enough.Ann Clin Biochem. 1983; 20: 262-263
- Homeostasis model assessment: insulin resistance and beta-cell function from fasting plasma glucose and insulin concentrations in man.Diabetologia. 1985; 28: 412-419
- Quantitative insulin sensitivity check index: a simple, accurate method for assessing insulin sensitivity in humans.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2000; 85: 2402-2410
- The Stationery Office, London2004: 54-56 The National Diet & Nutrition Survey: adults aged 19 to 64 years: nutritional status (anthropometry and blood analytes), blood pressure and physical activity.
- The dependency of vitamin D status on body mass index, gender, age and season.Anticancer Res. 2009; 29: 3713-3720
- Metabolic features of the reproductive phenotypes of polycystic ovary syndrome.Hum Reprod Update. 2009; 15: 477-488
- Vitamin D: emerging new roles in insulin sensitivity.Nutr Res Rev. 2009; 22: 82-92
- Association of 25(OH)D and PTH with metabolic syndrome and its traditional and nontraditional components.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2011; 96: 168-175
- The role of vitamin D and calcium in type 2 diabetes. A systematic review and meta-analysis.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2007; 92: 2017-2029
- Role of vitamin D treatment in glucose metabolism in polycystic ovary syndrome.Fertil Steril. 2009; 92: 1053-1058
- The effect of vitamin D replacement therapy on insulin resistance and androgen levels in women with polycystic ovary syndrome.J Endocrinol Invest. 2010; 33: 234-238
Author contributions : HWRL carried out the ultrasound examinations, performed the statistical analysis, and drafted the manuscript. REB helped in patient recruitment and blood taking, and took part in data management and analysis. RAA conceived the study, participated in its design and coordination, carried out the ultrasound examinations, and helped in data analysis and revision of the manuscript. AMW gave scientific input in the hormonal assays and participated in manuscript revision. CKMH conceived the study, participated in the study design, and helped in data analysis and manuscript writing. All authors read and approved the final manuscript.