The increasing prevalence of metabolic disease, along with cardiometabolic multimorbidity remains a leading healthcare challenge, despite advances in biomarker discovery and a broad pharmacological armamentarium [
- Katsiki N.
- Mantzoros C.
- Mikhailidis D.P.
Adiponectin, lipids and atherosclerosis.
Curr Opin Lipidol. 2017; 28: 347-354
- Mantzoros C.S.
- Flier J.S.
Insulin resistance: the clinical spectrum.
Adv Endocrinol Metab. 1995; 6: 193-232
- Pilitsi E.
- Farr O.M.
- Polyzos S.A.
- Perakakis N.
- Nolen-Doerr E.
- Papathanasiou A.E.
- et al.
Pharmacotherapy of obesity: available medications and drugs under investigation.
Metabolism. 2019; 92: 170-192
4]. Sodium-glucose cotransporter-2 (SGLT2) inhibitors introduced a paradigm shift in the management of diabetes. They have been shown to lower glycated hemoglobin, fasting and postprandial plasma glucose levels, body weight, and blood pressure, while also offering cardio- and nephroprotection (Fig. 1) [
- Polyzos S.A.
- Kountouras J.
- Mantzoros C.S.
Adipose tissue, obesity and non-alcoholic fatty liver disease.
Minerva Endocrinol. 2017; 42: 92-108
- Caruso I.
- Giorgino F.
SGLT-2 inhibitors as cardio-renal protective agents.
Metabolism. 2022; 127154937
- Giorgino F.
- Caruso I.
- Moellmann J.
- Lehrke M.
Differential indication for SGLT-2 inhibitors versus GLP-1 receptor agonists in patients with established atherosclerotic heart disease or at risk for congestive heart failure.
Metabolism. 2020; 104154045
- Liu H.
- Sridhar V.S.
- Boulet J.
- Dharia A.
- Khan A.
- Lawler P.R.
- et al.
Cardiorenal protection with SGLT2 inhibitors in patients with diabetes mellitus: from biomarkers to clinical outcomes in heart failure and diabetic kidney disease.
Metabolism. 2022; 126154918
- Prattichizzo F.
- de Candia P.
- Ceriello A.
Diabetes and kidney disease: emphasis on treatment with SGLT-2 inhibitors and GLP-1 receptor agonists.
Metabolism. 2021; 120154799
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Metabolism - Clinical and Experimental
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Adiponectin, lipids and atherosclerosis.Curr Opin Lipidol. 2017; 28: 347-354
- Insulin resistance: the clinical spectrum.Adv Endocrinol Metab. 1995; 6: 193-232
- Pharmacotherapy of obesity: available medications and drugs under investigation.Metabolism. 2019; 92: 170-192
- Adipose tissue, obesity and non-alcoholic fatty liver disease.Minerva Endocrinol. 2017; 42: 92-108
- SGLT-2 inhibitors as cardio-renal protective agents.Metabolism. 2022; 127154937
- Differential indication for SGLT-2 inhibitors versus GLP-1 receptor agonists in patients with established atherosclerotic heart disease or at risk for congestive heart failure.Metabolism. 2020; 104154045
- Cardiorenal protection with SGLT2 inhibitors in patients with diabetes mellitus: from biomarkers to clinical outcomes in heart failure and diabetic kidney disease.Metabolism. 2022; 126154918
- Diabetes and kidney disease: emphasis on treatment with SGLT-2 inhibitors and GLP-1 receptor agonists.Metabolism. 2021; 120154799
- SGLT2-inhibitors reduce the cardiac autonomic neuropathy dysfunction and vaso-vagal syncope recurrence in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus: the SCAN study.Metabolism. 2022; 155243
- Probing SGLT2 as a therapeutic target for diabetes: basic physiology and consequences.Diab Vasc Dis Res. 2015; 12: 78-89
- The role of the kidneys in glucose homeostasis in type 2 diabetes: clinical implications and therapeutic significance through sodium glucose co-transporter 2 inhibitors.Metabolism. 2014; 63: 1228-1237
- Empagliflozin, cardiovascular outcomes, and mortality in type 2 diabetes.N Engl J Med. 2015; 373: 2117-2128
- Canagliflozin and cardiovascular and renal events in type 2 diabetes.N Engl J Med. 2017; 377: 644-657
- Dapagliflozin and cardiovascular outcomes in type 2 diabetes.N Engl J Med. 2019; 380: 347-357
- Why do SGLT2 inhibitors reduce heart failure hospitalization? A differential volume regulation hypothesis.Diabetes Obes Metab. 2018; 20: 479-487
- Phlorizin: a review.Diabetes Metab Res Rev. 2005; 21: 31-38
- Differentiating sodium-glucose co-transporter-2 inhibitors in development for the treatment of type 2 diabetes mellitus.Expert Opin Investig Drugs. 2013; 22: 463-486
- Dapagliflozin in patients with heart failure and reduced ejection fraction.N Engl J Med. 2019; 381: 1995-2008
- Empagliflozin in heart failure with a preserved ejection fraction.N Engl J Med. 2021; 385: 1451-1461
- Cardiorenal mechanisms of action of glucagon-like-peptide-1 receptor agonists and sodium-glucose cotransporter 2 inhibitors.Med (N Y). 2021; 2: 1203-1230
- Targeting renal glucose reabsorption to treat hyperglycaemia: the pleiotropic effects of SGLT2 inhibition.Diabetologia. 2017; 60: 215-225
- Sodium-glucose co-transporters and their inhibition: clinical physiology.Cell Metab. 2017; 26: 27-38
- SGLT-2 inhibition: novel therapeutics for reno-and cardioprotection in diabetes mellitus.Curr Diabetes Rev. 2019; 15: 349-356
- Sodium glucose cotransporter-2 inhibitors protect the cardiorenal axis: update on recent mechanistic insights related to kidney physiology.Eur J Intern Med. 2022; 100: 13-20
- Mechanisms of cardiovascular benefits of sodium glucose co-transporter 2 (SGLT2) inhibitors: a state-of-the-art review.JACC Basic Transl Sci. 2020; 5: 632-644
- Empagliflozin increases cardiac energy production in diabetes: novel translational insights into the heart failure benefits of SGLT2 inhibitors.JACC Basic Transl Sci. 2018; 3: 575-587
- Obesity, adipose tissue and vascular dysfunction.Circ Res. 2021; 128: 951-968
- Empagliflozin and dapagliflozin reduce ROS generation and restore NO bioavailability in tumor necrosis factor alpha-stimulated human coronary arterial endothelial cells.Cell Physiol Biochem. 2019; 53: 865-886
- Canagliflozin inhibits interleukin-1beta-stimulated cytokine and chemokine secretion in vascular endothelial cells by AMP-activated protein kinase-dependent and -independent mechanisms.Sci Rep. 2018; 8: 5276
- Effects of sodium-glucose co-transporter 2 inhibitors on vascular cell function and arterial remodeling.Int J Mol Sci. 2021; 22
- Dapagliflozin attenuates human vascular endothelial cell activation and induces vasorelaxation: a potential mechanism for inhibition of atherogenesis.Diab Vasc Dis Res. 2018; 15: 64-73
- SGLT inhibitors attenuate NO-dependent vascular relaxation in the pulmonary artery but not in the coronary artery.Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol. 2015; 309: L1027-L1036
- Hyperglycaemic impairment of PAR2-mediated vasodilation: prevention by inhibition of aortic endothelial sodium-glucose-co-Transporter-2 and minimizing oxidative stress.Vascul Pharmacol. 2018; 109: 56-71
- Glycemic control by the SGLT2 inhibitor empagliflozin decreases aortic stiffness, renal resistivity index and kidney injury.Cardiovasc Diabetol. 2018; 17: 108
- SGLT2 inhibition via dapagliflozin improves generalized vascular dysfunction and alters the gut microbiota in type 2 diabetic mice.Cardiovasc Diabetol. 2018; 17: 62
- Effects of empagliflozin on blood pressure and markers of arterial stiffness and vascular resistance in patients with type 2 diabetes.Diabetes Obes Metab. 2015; 17: 1180-1193
- Effects of the selective sodium-glucose cotransporter 2 inhibitor empagliflozin on vascular function and central hemodynamics in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus.Circulation. 2017; 136: 1167-1169
- How does empagliflozin improve arterial stiffness in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus? Sub analysis of a clinical trial.Cardiovasc Diabetol. 2019; 18: 44
- Effect of sodium-glucose co-transporter-2 inhibitors on arterial stiffness: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials.Vasc Med. 2022; https://doi.org/10.1177/1358863X221101653
- Effects of SGLT-2 inhibitors on vascular endothelial function and arterial stiffness in subjects with type 2 diabetes: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials.Front Endocrinol (Lausanne). 2022; 13826604
- Canagliflozin inhibits human endothelial cell proliferation and tube formation.Front Pharmacol. 2019; 10: 362
- Dapagliflozin activates neurons in the central nervous system and regulates cardiovascular activity by inhibiting SGLT-2 in mice.Diabetes Metab Syndr Obes. 2020; 13: 2781-2799
- Neuroprotective effect of SGLT2 inhibitors.Molecules. 2021; 26
- Angiotensin II-induced redox-sensitive SGLT1 and 2 expression promotes high glucose-induced endothelial cell senescence.J Cell Mol Med. 2020; 24: 2109-2122
- Minimizing hyperglycemia-induced vascular endothelial dysfunction by inhibiting endothelial sodium-glucose cotransporter 2 and attenuating oxidative stress: implications for treating individuals with type 2 diabetes.Can J Diabetes. 2019; 43: 510-514
- SGLT2 inhibitors, sodium and off-target effects: an overview.J Nephrol. 2021; 34: 673-680
- Empagliflozin decreases myocardial cytoplasmic Na(+) through inhibition of the cardiac Na(+)/H(+) exchanger in rats and rabbits.Diabetologia. 2017; 60: 568-573
- Off-target effects of sodium-glucose co-transporter 2 blockers: empagliflozin does not inhibit Na+/H+ exchanger-1 or lower [Na+]i in the heart.Cardiovasc Res. 2021; 117: 2794-2806
- Empagliflozin reduces Ca/calmodulin-dependent kinase II activity in isolated ventricular cardiomyocytes.ESC Heart Fail. 2018; 5: 642-648
- Direct cardiac actions of sodium-glucose cotransporter 2 inhibition improve mitochondrial function and attenuate oxidative stress in pressure overload-induced heart failure.Front Cardiovasc Med. 2022; 9: 859253
- Cardiac autonomic neuropathy in diabetes: a predictor of cardiometabolic events.Front Neurosci. 2018; 12: 591
- Does SGLT2 inhibition affect sympathetic nerve activity in type 2 diabetes?.Horm Metab Res. 2021; 53: 75-84
- SGLT2 inhibitor-induced sympathoinhibition: a novel mechanism for cardiorenal protection.JACC Basic Transl Sci. 2020; 5: 169-179
- Neural tone and cardio-renal outcomes in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus: a review of the literature with a focus on SGLT2 inhibitors.Heart Fail Rev. 2021; 26: 643-652
- Are the cardiorenal benefits of SGLT2 inhibitors due to inhibition of the sympathetic nervous system?.JACC Basic Transl Sci. 2020; 5: 180-182
- Effects of dapagliflozin on peripheral sympathetic nerve activity in standard chow- and high-fat-fed rats after a glucose load.J Pharmacol Sci. 2022; 148: 86-92
- Different responses of muscle sympathetic nerve activity to dapagliflozin between patients with type 2 diabetes with and without heart failure.J Am Heart Assoc. 2021; 10e022637
- Empagliflozin modulates renal sympathetic and heart rate baroreflexes in a rabbit model of diabetes.Diabetologia. 2020; 63: 1424-1434
- The effect of empagliflozin on muscle sympathetic nerve activity in patients with type II diabetes mellitus.J Am Soc Hypertens. 2017; 11: 604-612
- Sympathetic dysfunction in vasovagal syncope and the postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome.Front Physiol. 2014; 5: 280
- The pathophysiology of the vasovagal response.Heart Rhythm. 2018; 15: 921-929
- Weight loss variability with SGLT2 inhibitors and GLP-1 receptor agonists in type 2 diabetes mellitus and obesity: mechanistic possibilities.Obes Rev. 2019; 20: 816-828
- Comparative safety of the sodium glucose co-transporter 2 (SGLT2) inhibitors: a systematic review and meta-analysis.BMJ Open. 2019; 9e022577
- Treatment response to SGLT2 inhibitors: from clinical characteristics to genetic variations.Int J Mol Sci. 2021; 22
- Population pharmacokinetic modeling of canagliflozin in healthy volunteers and patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus.Clin Pharmacokinet. 2016; 55: 209-223
- The "Virtual digital Twins" concept in precision nutrition.Adv Nutr. 2020; 11: 1405-1413
- The challenge and importance of integrating drug-nutrient-genome interactions in personalized cardiovascular healthcare.J Pers Med. 2022; 12
- Cost effectiveness of sodium-glucose Cotransporter-2 (SGLT2) inhibitors, glucagon-like Peptide-1 (GLP-1) receptor agonists, and dipeptidyl Peptidase-4 (DPP-4) inhibitors: a systematic review.Pharmacoeconomics. 2019; 37: 777-818
- Pharmacoeconomic evaluation of sodium-glucose transporter-2 (SGLT2) inhibitors for the treatment of type 2 diabetes.Expert Opin Pharmacother. 2019; 20: 151-161
- Clinical application of noradrenaline spillover methodology: delineation of regional human sympathetic nervous responses.Pharmacol Toxicol. 1993; 73: 243-253
- Overflow of catecholamine neurotransmitters to the circulation: source, fate, and functions.Physiol Rev. 1990; 70: 963-985
- MicroRNAs in heart failure: small molecules with major impact.Glob Cardiol Sci Pract. 2014; 2014: 79-102
- Epitranscriptomic challenges and promises in metabolic diseases.Metabolism. 2022; 132155219
- Array lessons from the heart: focus on the genome and transcriptome of cardiomyopathies.Physiol Genomics. 2005; 21: 131-143
- Metabolic health and weight: understanding metabolically unhealthy normal weight or metabolically healthy obese patients.Metabolism. 2016; 65: 73-80
- Insulin resistance and vascular dysfunction in nondiabetic Asian Indians.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2004; 89: 3965-3972
- Sex differences in vasovagal syncope: a post hoc analysis of the prevention of syncope trials (POST) I and II.Can J Cardiol. 2020; 36: 79-83
- Volume depletion versus dehydration: how understanding the difference can guide therapy.Am J Kidney Dis. 2011; 58: 302-309
- Effect of dapagliflozin on atrial fibrillation in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus: insights from the DECLARE-TIMI 58 trial.Circulation. 2020; 141: 1227-1234
- Effects of Sodium/Glucose cotransporter inhibitors on atrial fibrillation and stroke: a meta-analysis.J Stroke Cerebrovasc Dis. 2022; 31106159
Published online: September 02, 2022
Accepted: August 30, 2022
Received: August 8, 2022
© 2022 Published by Elsevier Inc.