- •In 2019, the highest age-standardised DALYs were observed in obesity.
- •The highest age-standardised death rates in 2019 were observed for hypertension.
- •Eastern Mediterranean and low SDI countries had highest metabolic-related deaths.
- •Obesity surpasses hypertension as main driver of metabolic-related deaths by 2050.
- •Males will likely continue to bear the largest burden of metabolic diseases in 2050.
Abbreviation:APC (annual percentage change), DALYs (disability-adjusted life years), GBD (global burden of diseases), HLD (hyperlipidemia), HTN (hypertension), ICD-10 (International Classification of Diseases-10), NAFLD (non-alcoholic fatty liver disease), NCDs (non-communicable diseases), SDI (Socio-Demographic Index), T2DM (type 2 diabetes mellitus), WHO (World Health Organisation), YLDs (years lived with disability)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Metabolism - Clinical and Experimental
- Global burden of 87 risk factors in 204 countries and territories, 1990–2019: a systematic analysis for the global burden of disease study 2019.Lancet. 2020; 396: 1223-1249
- Noncommunicable diseases.Date accessed: 15th August, 2022)
- Chronic disease to cost $47 trillion by 2030.WEFReuters, 2011
- Epidemiology of dyslipidemia and associated cardiovascular risk factors in Northeast China: a cross-sectional study.Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis. 2020; 30: 2262-2270
- The prevalence and incidence of NAFLD worldwide: a systematic review and meta-analysis.LancetGastroenterol Hepatol. 2022; 7: 851-861
- Five insights from the global burden of disease study 2019.The Lancet. 2020; 396: 1135-1159
- Diabetes mortality and trends before 25 years of age: an analysis of the Global Burden of Disease Study 2019.Lancet Diabetes Endocrinol. 2022; 10: 177-192
- Global burden of NAFLD and chronic liver disease among adolescents and young adults.Hepatology. 2022; 75: 1204-1217
- Global burden of cardiovascular diseases and risk factors, 1990–2019: update from the GBD 2019 study.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2020; 76: 2982-3021
- Global burden of 369 diseases and injuries in 204 countries and territories, 1990-2019: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2019.Lancet. 2020; 396: 1204-1222
- Global age-sex-specific fertility, mortality, healthy life expectancy (HALE), and population estimates in 204 countries and territories, 1950–2019: a comprehensive demographic analysis for the global burden of disease study 2019.Lancet. 2020; 396: 1160-1203
- GBD Results.Date accessed: 15th June, 2022)
- 2019 ACC/AHA guideline on the primary prevention of cardiovascular disease: a report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association task force on clinical practice guidelines.Circulation. 2019; 140: e596-e646
- FIB-4 predicts MACE and cardiovascular mortality in patients with nonalcoholic fatty liver disease.Can J Cardiol. 2022; 38: 1779-1780
- Global, regional, and national burden of colorectal cancer and its risk factors, 1990-2019: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2019.Lancet Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2022; 7: 627-647
- Burden of non-alcoholic fatty liver disease in Asia, the Middle East and North Africa: data from global burden of disease 2009–2019.J Hepatol. 2021; 75: 795-809
The Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation. Population Forecasting. https://vizhub.healthdata.org/population-forecast/. Date accessed: 8th August, 2022.
- Cardiovascular disease projections in the United States based on the 2020 census estimates.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2022; 80: 565-578
The Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation. Socio-demographic Index (SDI). https://www.healthdata.org/taxonomy/glossary/socio-demographic-index-sdi#:~:text=A%20summary%20measure%20that%20identifies,areas%20in%20the%20GBD%20study. Date accessed: 2nd November, 2022.
World Health Organisation. WHO regions. https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/who-regions. Date accessed: 2nd November, 2022.
- Global, regional, and national prevalence of overweight and obesity in children and adults during 1980–2013: a systematic analysis for the global burden of disease study 2013.The Lancet. 2014; 384: 766-781
- Global health risks: mortality and burden of disease attributable to selected major risks.Date accessed: 24th December, 2022)
- Management of obesity.The Lancet. 2016; 387: 1947-1956
- Placebo effect on progression and regression in NASH: evidence from a meta-analysis.Hepatology. 2022; 75: 1647-1661
- Thieme Medical Publishers, Inc.;, 2022: 379-400 Nonalcoholic Steatohepatitis Drug Development Pipeline: An Update. Seminars in Liver Disease.
- Meta-analysis of the placebo and nocebo effects associated with placebo treatment in randomized trials of lipid lowering therapy.Eur Heart J Qual Care Clin Outcomes. 2022; qcac060
- Global prevalence of non-alcoholic fatty liver disease and non-alcoholic steatohepatitis in the overweight and obese population: a systematic review and meta-analysis. The lancet.Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2023; 8: 20-30
- The genetic interactions between non-alcoholic fatty liver disease and cardiovascular diseases.Front Genet. 2022; 13971484
- MAFLD and risk of CKD.Metabolism. 2021; 115154433
- Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease increases risk of incident chronic kidney disease: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Metabolism. 2018; 79: 64-76
- A meta-analysis on the global prevalence, risk factors and screening of coronary heart disease in nonalcoholic fatty liver disease.Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2022; 20: 2462-2473.e10
- Early origins of metabolic and overall health in young adults: an outcome-wide analysis in a general cohort population.Diabetes Metab. 2022; 101414
- Historical changes in weight classes and the influence of NAFLD prevalence: a population analysis of 34,486 individuals.Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2022; 19: 9935
- Sex hormones and cardiometabolic health: role of estrogen and estrogen receptors.Endocrinology. 2017; 158: 1095-1105
- Sex differences in the metabolic syndrome: implications for cardiovascular health in women.Clin Chem. 2014; 60: 44-52
- Cultural factors influencing self-care by persons with cardiovascular disease: an integrative review.Int J Nurs Stud. 2021; 116103383
- Association between body mass index (BMI) and hypertension in south asian population: evidence from nationally-representative surveys.Clin Hypertens. 2019; 25: 1-9
- Cardiometabolic diseases: a global perspective.J Cardiol Cardiovasc Ther. 2018; 12555834
- Hypertension is prevalent in non-alcoholic fatty liver disease and increases all-cause and cardiovascular mortality.Front Cardiovasc Med. 2022; : 9
- Type 2 diabetes mellitus in metabolic-associated fatty liver disease vs. Type 2 diabetes mellitus non-alcoholic fatty liver disease: a longitudinal cohort analysis.Ann Hepatol. 2023; 28100762
- Epidemiology and lifestyle survey of non-alcoholic fatty liver disease in school-age children and adolescents in Shenyang, Liaoning.BMC Pediatr. 2022; 22: 1-9
- Metabolic associated fatty liver disease (MAFLD) increases the risk of systemic complications and mortality. A meta-analysis and systematic review of 12,620,736 individuals.Endocr Pract. 2022; 28: 667-672
- The effect of diabetes and prediabetes on the prevalence, complications and mortality in non-alcoholic fatty liver disease.Clinical and Molecular Hepatology. 2022; 28: 565-574
- Multimorbidity and the inequalities of global ageing: a cross-sectional study of 28 countries using the world health surveys.BMC Public Health. 2015; 15: 776
- Living in the non-alcoholic fatty liver disease silent epidemic: a qualitative systematic review of patients' perspectives.Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2022; 56: 570-579
- Pharmacotherapy of type 2 diabetes: an update and future directions.Metabolism. 2022; 137155332
- Can glucose-lowering medications improve outcomes in non-diabetic heart failure patients? A Bayesian network meta-analysis.ESC Heart Fail. 2022; 9: 1338-1350
- Hepatic fat as a novel marker for high-risk coronary atherosclerotic plaque features in familial hypercholesterolaemia.Metabolism. 2023; 139155370
- The global burden of disease study at 30 years.Nat Med. 2022; 28: 2019-2026
- Prognostically distinct phenotypes of metabolic health beyond obesity in aortic stenosis.Am J Cardiol. 2022; 178: 112-118
- Long-term prognosis of acute myocardial infarction associated with metabolic health and obesity status.Endocr Pract. 2022; 28: 802-810
- Prognostically distinct phenotypes of metabolic health beyond obesity in aortic stenosis.Eur Heart J. 2022; 43
- Noncommunicable diseases in Africa: youth are key to curbing the epidemic and achieving sustainable development.Population Reference Bureau, Washington2015
- The global syndemic of obesity, undernutrition, and climate change: the lancet commission report.Lancet. 2019; 393: 791-846
- Prevalence and outcomes of patients without standard modifiable risk factors following acute coronary syndrome: a systematic review and meta-analysis.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2022; 79: 1091
- Hepatic steatosis and advanced fibrosis are independent predictors of mortality in acute myocardial infarction without standard modifiable risk factors.Diabetes Obes Metab. 2022; 24: 2454-2458
- Higher mortality in acute coronary syndrome patients without standard modifiable risk factors: results from a global meta-analysis of 1,285,722 patients.Int J Cardiol. 2023; 371: 432-440
- Hepatic steatosis and advanced hepatic fibrosis are independent predictors of long-term mortality in acute myocardial infarction.Diabetes Obes Metab. 2022; https://doi.org/10.1111/dom.14950
- Prevalence and outcomes of patients without standard modifiable risk factors following acute coronary syndrome: a systematic review and meta-analysis.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2022; 79: 1092
- Comprehensive review and updates on holistic approach towards non-alcoholic fatty liver disease management with cardiovascular disease.Curr Atheroscler Rep. 2022; 1–18