- •FGF21 is involved in HF pathophysiology and is a potential biomarker candidate.
- •FGF21 levels are associated with incident HF among participants with elevated FGF21 only.
- •Among participants with elevated FGF21 levels, FGF21 levels were associated with HFpEF not HFrEF.
- •Findings suggest FGF21 has novel ability to distinguish between HF subtypes.
- •FGF21 may be included in a multi-marker panel to improve specificity of natriuretic peptides.
Fibroblast growth factor 21 (FGF21) levels are often elevated in heart failure (HF), although this has not been assessed using a longitudinal study design. Therefore, we investigated the association between baseline plasma FGF21 levels and incident HF in the Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis (MESA).
A total of 5408 participants, free of clinically apparent cardiovascular disease, were included in the analysis, of which 342 developed HF over a median follow-up period of 16.7 years. Multivariable Cox regression analysis was performed and the additive value of FGF21 in the performance of risk prediction over other well-established cardiovascular biomarkers was assessed.
The mean age of the participants was 62.6 years with 47.6 % male. Regression spline analysis demonstrated a significant association of FGF21 levels with incident HF among participants with FGF21 levels ≥239.0 pg/mL (hazard ratio = 1.84 [95 % confidence interval 1.21, 2.80] per SD increase in ln-transformed levels) after adjustment for traditional cardiovascular risk factors and biomarkers, but not in participants with FGF21 levels <239.0 pg/mL (p for heterogeneity = 0.004). Among participants with FGF21 levels ≥239.0 pg/mL, FGF21 levels were associated with HF with preserved ejection fraction (HR [95 % CI] = 2.57 [1.51, 4.37]), but not HF with reduced ejection fraction.
The present study suggests baseline FGF21 levels could predict the development of incident HF with preserved ejection fraction, among participants with elevated FGF21 levels at baseline. This study may suggest a pathophysiological role of FGF21 resistance in HF with preserved ejection fraction.
Abbreviations:BMI (body mass index), BNP (brain natriuretic peptide), BP (blood pressure), CAC (coronary artery calcium), CHD (coronary heart disease), CI (confidence interval), CRP (C-reactive protein), CVD (cardiovascular disease), eGFR (estimated glomerular filtration rate), FGF21 (fibroblast growth factor 21), FGFR (fibroblast growth factor receptor), GGT (serum γ-glutamyl transferase), HDL (high density lipoprotein), HF (heart failure), HFpEF (heart failure with preserved ejection fraction), HFrEF (heart failure with reduced ejection fraction), HOMA2-IR (homeostasis model assessment of insulin resistance index), HR (hazards ratio), IL-6 (interleukin 6), LDL (low density lipoprotein), LV (left ventricular), LVEF (left ventricular ejection fraction), MESA (Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis), MRI (magnetic resonance imaging), NRI (net reclassification improvement), NT-proBNP (N-terminal pro-brain natriuretic peptide), ln (natural logarithm), SD (standard deviation)
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Metabolism - Clinical and Experimental
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Pathophysiology of heart failure.CardiovascDiagnTher. 2021; 11: 263-276https://doi.org/10.21037/cdt-20-302
- The prognosis of heart failure in the general population.The Rotterdam Study.Eur Heart J. 2001; 22: 1318-1327https://doi.org/10.1053/euhj.2000.2533
- Global burden of heart failure: a comprehensive and updated review of epidemiology.Cardiovasc Res. 2022; 118: 3272-3287https://doi.org/10.1093/cvr/cvac013
- Fibroblast growth factor 21 protects the heart from oxidative stress.Cardiovasc Res. 2015; 106: 19-31https://doi.org/10.1093/cvr/cvu263
- Fibroblast growth factor 21 protects against cardiac hypertrophy in mice.Nat Commun. 2013; 4: 2019https://doi.org/10.1093/cvr/cvu263
- Fibroblast growth factor 21 in heart failure.Heart Fail Rev. 2022; 28: 261-272https://doi.org/10.1007/s10741-022-10268-0
- Fibroblast growth factor 21 in cardio-metabolic disorders: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Metabolism. 2018; 83: 11-17https://doi.org/10.1016/j.metabol.2018.01.017
- Obesity is a fibroblast growth factor 21 (FGF21)-resistant state.Diabetes. 2010; 59: 2781-2789https://doi.org/10.2337/db10-0193
- The therapeutic potential of FGF21 in metabolic diseases: from bench to clinic.Nat Rev Endocrinol. 2020; 16: 654-667https://doi.org/10.1038/s41574-020-0386-0
- Fibroblast growth factor 21 in heart failure.Heart Fail Rev. 2023; 28: 261-272https://doi.org/10.1007/s10741-022-10268-0
- Multi-ethnic study of atherosclerosis: objectives and design.Am J Epidemiol. 2002; 156: 871-881https://doi.org/10.1093/aje/kwf113
- FGF21 and chronic kidney disease.Metabolism. 2021; 118154738https://doi.org/10.1016/j.metabol.2021.154738
- Fibroblast growth factor 21 in non-alcoholic fatty liver disease.Metabolism. 2019; 101153994https://doi.org/10.1016/j.metabol.2019.153994
- Long-term fenofibrate therapy increases fibroblast growth factor 21 and retinol-binding protein 4 in subjects with type 2 diabetes.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2012; 97: 4701-4708https://doi.org/10.1210/jc.2012-2267
- Calcified coronary artery plaque measurement with cardiac CT in population-based studies: standardized protocol of Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis (MESA) and Coronary Artery Risk Development in Young Adults (CARDIA) study.Radiology. 2005; 234: 35-43https://doi.org/10.1148/radiol.2341040439
- Cardiovascular function in multi-ethnic study of atherosclerosis: normal values by age, sex, and ethnicity.Am J Roentgenol. 2006; 186: S357-S365https://doi.org/10.2214/AJR.04.1868
- The relationship of left ventricular mass and geometry to incident cardiovascular events: the MESA (Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis) study.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2008; 52: 2148-2155https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jacc.2008.09.014
- The relationship of circulating fibroblast growth factor 21 levels with incident atrial fibrillation: the Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis.Atherosclerosis. 2018; 269: 86-91https://doi.org/10.1016/j.atherosclerosis.2017.12.026
- Estimating GFR using the CKD epidemiology collaboration (CKD-EPI) creatinine equation: more accurate GFR estimates, lower CKD prevalence estimates, and better risk predictions.Am J Kidney Dis. 2010; 55: 622-627https://doi.org/10.1053/j.ajkd.2010.02.337
- Use and abuse of HOMA modeling.Diabetes Care. 2004; 27: 1487-1495https://doi.org/10.2337/diacare.27.6.1487
- Association of novel biomarkers with future cardiovascular events is influenced by ethnicity: results from a multi-ethnic cohort.Int J Cardiol. 2013; 166: 487-493https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijcard.2011.11.034
- N-terminal pro-B-type natriuretic peptide, left ventricular mass, and incident heart failure: Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis.Circ Heart Fail. 2012; 5: 727-734https://doi.org/10.1161/CIRCHEARTFAILURE.112.968701
- Associations between total serum GGT activity and metabolic risk: MESA.Biomark Med. 2013; 7: 709-721https://doi.org/10.2217/bmm.13.71
- Predictive value of collagen biomarkers for heart failure with and without preserved ejection fraction: MESA (Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis).J Am Heart Assoc. 2018; 7e007885https://doi.org/10.1161/JAHA.117.007885
- Fibroblast growth factor 21: an endocrine inhibitor of sugar and alcohol appetite.J Physiol. 2019; 597: 3539-3548https://doi.org/10.1113/JP277117
- Comparing the predictive powers of survival models using Harrell's C or Somers' D.Stata J. 2010; 10: 339-358https://doi.org/10.1177/1536867X1001000303
- Extensions of net reclassification improvement calculations to measure usefulness of new biomarkers.Stat Med. 2011; 30: 11-21https://doi.org/10.1002/sim.4085
- A simplified method of calculating an overall goodness-of-fit test for the Cox proportional hazards model.Lifetime Data Anal. 1998; 4: 109-120https://doi.org/10.1023/a:1009612305785
- High glucose represses β-klotho expression and impairs fibroblast growth factor 21 action in mouse pancreatic islets: involvement of peroxisome proliferator–activated receptor γ signaling.Diabetes. 2013; 62: 3751-3759https://doi.org/10.2337/db13-0645
- Exercise alleviates obesity-induced metabolic dysfunction via enhancing FGF21 sensitivity in adipose tissues.Cell Rep. 2019; 26: 2738-2752. e4https://doi.org/10.1016/j.celrep.2019.02.014
- Novel insights into the cardio-protective effects of FGF21 in lean and obese rat hearts.PloS One. 2014; 9e87102https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0087102
- Fibroblast growth factors in cardiovascular disease: the emerging role of FGF21.Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2015; 309: H1029-H1038https://doi.org/10.1152/ajpheart.00527.2015
- Exercise increases serum fibroblast growth factor 21 (FGF21) levels.PloS One. 2012; 7e38022https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0038022
- A high circulating FGF21 level as a prognostic marker in patients with acute myocardial infarction.AmJTranslRes. 2018; 10: 2958
- Serum fibroblast growth factor–21 concentration is associated with residual renal function and insulin resistance in end-stage renal disease patients receiving long-term peritoneal dialysis.Metabolism. 2010; 59: 1656-1662https://doi.org/10.1016/j.metabol.2010.03.018
- The diagnostic accuracy of the natriuretic peptides in heart failure: systematic review and diagnostic meta-analysis in the acute care setting.BMJ. 2015; 350h910https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.h910
- FGF21 (Fibroblast Growth Factor 21) defines a potential cardiohepatic signaling circuit in end-stage heart failure.Circ Heart Fail. 2022; 15e008910https://doi.org/10.1161/CIRCHEARTFAILURE.121.008910
- Relationship of nonalcoholic fatty liver disease and heart failure with preserved ejection fraction.<sb:contribution><sb:title>JACC Basic Transl </sb:title></sb:contribution><sb:host><sb:issue><sb:series><sb:title>Sci</sb:title></sb:series></sb:issue></sb:host>. 2021; 6: 918-932https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jacbts.2021.07.010
- Association of liver fibrosis risk scores with clinical outcomes in patients with heart failure with preserved ejection fraction: findings from TOPCAT.ESC Heart Fail. 2021; 8: 842-848https://doi.org/10.1002/ehf2.13250
- What does the liver tell us about the failing heart?.Eur Heart J. 2012; 34: 711-714https://doi.org/10.1093/eurheartj/ehs440
- Metabolic inflammation in heart failure with preserved ejection fraction.Cardiovasc Res. 2021; 117: 423-434https://doi.org/10.1093/cvr/cvaa217
- The association of obesity and cardiometabolic traits with incident HFpEF and HFrEF. JACC.Heart Fail. 2018; 6: 701-709https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jchf.2018.05.018
- Pegbelfermin (BMS-986036), a PEGylated fibroblast growth factor 21 analogue, in patients with non-alcoholic steatohepatitis: a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled, phase 2a trial.Lancet. 2018; 392: 2705-2717https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(18)31785-9
- Serum FGF 21 concentration is associated with hypertriglyceridaemia, hyperinsulinaemia and pericardial fat accumulation, independently of obesity, but not with current coronary artery status.Clin Endocrinol (Oxf). 2014; 80: 57-64https://doi.org/10.1111/cen.12134
- Targeting FGF21 in cardiovascular and metabolic diseases: from mechanism to medicine.Int J Biol Sci. 2023; 19: 66-88https://doi.org/10.7150/ijbs.73936
- SGLT2 inhibition reprograms systemic metabolism via FGF21-dependent and-independent mechanisms.JCI Insight. 2019; 4e123130https://doi.org/10.1172/jci.insight.123130
- SGLT-2 inhibitors on prognosis and health-related quality of life in patients with heart failure and preserved ejection fraction: a systematic review and meta-analysis.FrontCardiovascMed. 2022; 9942125https://doi.org/10.3389/fcvm.2022.942125
- SGLT2 inhibitors decrease cardiovascular death and heart failure hospitalizations in patients with heart failure: a systematic review and meta-analysis.EClinicalMedicine. 2021; 36100933https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eclinm.2021.100933
- Genome-wide association and mendelian randomization study of fibroblast growth factor 21 reveals causal associations with hyperlipidemia and possibly NASH.Metabolism. 2022; 137155329https://doi.org/10.1016/j.metabol.2022.155329
Published online: March 15, 2023
Accepted: March 10, 2023
Received: December 23, 2022
© 2023 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.